Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011


So like I said, “Clutter.” Emotional clutter will become physical clutter if you allow it. Every flat service in our home has some kind of clutter along with most drawers and other places of storage. When my husband field day his room (cleaned his barrack room) he use to throw all his stuff in a foot locker or closet. His version of cleaning has been and is stuffing things away so it can’t be seen and if it doesn’t have to be clean leaving everything out and about. I have let it go because I have other things to fight about. I have cooking, laundry, helping him with paperwork, making lunches, volunteering at my daughter’s school, the list goes on and on, literally. I do not have the time or energy to fight my husband to down size his stuff, to organize our things or keep things in their proper place. After taking several photos of our house and sending them to him he finally saw how bad it’s become and has finally agreed that it has gotten out of control especially after seeing photos of our house when I first moved in years ago. Now please forgive me I forgot to take some photos along the way. So here are the steps.

1)      Buy containers or things to organize your space. I bought 2 new shoe boxes at $2.35 each and 2 over the door shoe organizers at $6.48 each. (I bought those things Wal-mart) I also bought one vanity organizer from The Container Store for $20. (I still can’t believe I paid that much) I also had some other containers around the house that I decided to put in the bathroom. After that make a note that everything will fit in those organizers and that’s it.  
2)      Downsize. Downsize. Downsize. Take the things that are almost empty or things that you have never used and get rid of them. I know but it is a half bottle of Bath and Body works lotion, its something I got on my wedding day, it was a gift from my aunt. If you haven’t used it in a month get rid of it. It isn’t that important.
3)      Place the items where you feel they need to go and where you’ll remember to place them. J’s big problem is that he picks something up and just sets it down on any flat surface he finds. By getting these organizers, which are clear, he can see where it came from and put it back. So here are some before and after photos of part of our bathroom.

So here we have the linen closet which has 4 shelves the top two shelves had only towels, the bottom two had extra toiletries and the floor has our dehumidifier and other junk. So I took one of the shoe organizers and put our extras in it instead of the containers I had in the closet. Why, because J would take things out since he couldn't find what he was looking for in the bathroom, use it and place it on the vanity, dresser, bathtub, just about anywhere. Now we shouldn't have that problem. 





Now I placed everything on the door. Everything has its own bag and that is its home. 




Now for the vanity. Good gravy the vanity. I have tried to organize it by giving J a side and his things like tweezers, nail clippers and the like but once again he'll use his while walking around the house and set it somewhere else. Since his are now lost mine become usable. Do you see the plastic drawer near the wall? Yep most of my stuff is in there since all the other drawers are taken. Now granted some of my things are out but that is because I can't put them anywhere. 




Pretty, yes? Holy crap we had an electric razor, a blow dryer and other things on the vanity? 


Look all of my cleaning supplies are in one box instead of scattered all over the bottom of the sink.


All the medication is in two containers with labels and it isn't everywhere.

Now we threw away almost 2 bags of trash and you see how much we have left. A lot of things were half used bottles of things or expired medications or used things, like razors. I would like to downsize more but I think if I were to do that J may freak. It is a baby step, one that was greatly needed. While I was doing this J took it upon himself to unclutter his closet (I finally have more shirts then my husband) as well as gather up the laundry in our room and put his clean clothes away in his dresser, since I don't do it right. Well there you go. I hope to do the girls' playroom next. It use to be very organized and neat but for 3 months I had fainting spells and was very sick so they got use to a cleaning style called, "loco cleaning," where they shove everything in boxes and drawers and call it clean. I am going to buy a book case, one plastic shelving unit and 2 pop up hampers to organize their playroom. So wish me luck! 

I hope you enjoyed the beginning of our unclutterization journey and will continue to check in. Why am I so serious about this you may ask? This is a serious subject that involves no jokes and little sarcasm. Ever since I moved in with my husband I have been fighting with his emotional clutter which became physical clutter. I do own a lot of things, don't get me wrong, but mine are put away for the most part. Hopefully my journey and triumph over these will help you in someway to remove the junk in your life. 

1 comment:

  1. wooo go ronnie. hopefully yall can keep this up and have a house you are proud of and not have a bunch of stuff you don't need. lots of love, hugs, and kisses. i know you'll need all of those along the way.

    ReplyDelete