Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Before you even begin.....

I've been making bentos for almost 7 years, since I moved to Okinawa. About 4 years ago the bento made its way into the homes of the people across the States. Since I couldn't read or speak Japanese it was really hard for me to create the lunches I wanted for my kids. When I returned to the States I was so excited and happy that many blogs and websites about bento making popped up. The thing I disliked and still do, is hardly anyone explains how they made the bento or the recipe(s) they used. As you may have noticed from previous posts mine are simple. I really don't do extravagant bentos even though I would love to learn. I saw this amazing Kiki's Delivery Service bento where Kiki was holding her broom and Jiji was walking along some fruit. What did they use? How did they do it? Was it an edible print out? Did they draw it on some American cheese? Don't know. The caption stated something like my awesome Kiki. It took awhile but it was worth it. I especially love the cherries!...... How oh, bento master, did you make this masterpiece? No response. Anyways.... I've been asked by a couple of family members and a few friends exactly what you need to do before you get started.

Before you even open a bento box there are somethings you need to know.


  • Cleanliness is the key. Most bentos are kept at room temperature until eaten. If you were touching your face while packing your food you have a greater risk of bacteria and germs growing. As a rule I gather EVERYTHING I need before I start cooking or cutting. To avoid contamination I usually have 3 cutting boards, 1 for fruits/veges, 1 for meats, and 1 for the cooked food. Any pots, pans, cooking utensils, cups, picks, I mean everything I need, I'll have set out.
  • Wash your hands. I can not stress that enough. Touch your face; wash your hands. Move the hair out of your face; wash you hands. Touch the trash can; wash your hands. I think you get the drift.
  • Make sure your food is completely cooled before placing food into the box or putting on the lid. 
  • In Japan once the food has been prepped they touch it as little as possible. If they need to move something they use chopsticks or another utensil.
  • When you are done with your lunch wash the bento. Maybe not the second you are done but don't leave it in your car, let it sit in the sink for a day, don't leave it on the counter. When you come home wash it and dry it with a paper towel to ensure it is cleaned quickly. Most bento boxes are plastic and plastic is porous. 
  • I usually plan all my bentos on Sunday. I do a quick sketch and write what I would like to put in each one and go shopping if I need too. I do plan a completely different lunch menu from my dinner menu because I don't want the girls to get "worn out" with their food. J and I will eat leftovers and be perfectly happy with that. Once I have them planned and my shopping is done, I do what cutting I can that evening to minimize what work I'll have to do the each day. Make sure to cut one thing at a time and store it in the refrigerator quickly. Don't have all your vegetables sitting on the counter with the meat just waiting to be cut. If you need 2 carrots, cut them, put them in a container, and return them to the fridge before you start on another item. 
  • If my bentos have rice or onigiri, rice balls, I usually make what I need for the week on Sunday and freeze the ones for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday's lunches. Just tightly wrap each one with plastic wrap. I will pull them out the night before and let them defrost in the fridge. 
  • Before I start my box I'll wash my hands and place whatever liners or cups I need. 
Now that you know the basic handling of bento lunches you can start making fun lunches. As I said previously, start off small. Buy some cute cupcake liners or some shaped silicone cups. Buy a pack or two of cookie cutters and some little food picks. Once you get the hang of it branch out. If you haven't read my blog before, I posted a Wal-mart bento when I first started this blog to show how simple it can be. Both of my girls were about to hit a growth spurt and during this time they eat A LOT. There was a lot of food inside but you know yourself and/or your child well enough to know how much you should or shouldn't pack. Once again please take the time to leave a comment about what you would like to see about bentos and if you are interested in a bento supply giveaway. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. If you enjoyed my blog please feel free to share it. Here are some pics  from my fb of lunches that weren't too fancy or detailed. Happy Bento-ing! 









No comments:

Post a Comment